Steelite delivers record results
British tableware manufacturer Steelite International releases record-breaking results from another successful year
In the lead up to the general election and with much talk about the strength of UK manufacturing, Steelite International are setting the standard, delivering record results for the fifth year in a row
The Stoke-based tableware manufacturer has achieved sales of £94 million in 2014. The company performed well in all its global markets including Europe, North America, the Middle East and the UK.
The leading manufacturer of inspirational design led tableware products has posted the milestone figures following a year of investment which has led to new products, new jobs and a clear vision for the future.
Kevin Oakes, chief executive, commented: “This is a well-deserved result for the skill, effort and investment that has been put into the business over the last few years. I’d like to say a huge ‘thank you’ to everyone involved.
The commitment and passion of the teams in Stoke, at Royal Crown Derby and overseas has been a real driver for this growth.
We sell into more than 140 countries and I have no doubt that that our success is due to the high quality and design of our products manufactured here in the UK, with our overseas customers really valuing the Made in England back stamp.
We are now, more than ever, committed to manufacturing in the UK, having laid the foundations for growth and success, ensuring the business is fit for the future.”
The last year has seen manufacturing expansion plans continue with the commissioning of a new 2000sq metre factory extension at the Stoke factory, enabling the business to continue to meet the increasing demand for product.
During 2014 the business also won a number of prestigious awards, including ‘The Employer of the Year’ at the National Business Awards. In making this award, the Judges said the business is as an ‘outstanding employer’ whose holistic approach is transforming a traditional industry. The company has also been recognised for its commitment to manufacturing in Britain and in November celebrated winning the ‘Made in Britain’ award at The Growing Business Awards.
Sales this year at Royal Crown Derby will be bolstered following further investment which has created significant opportunities within the high-end hospitality and retail markets with new products and designs; another example of quality, design and integrity.
Mr Oakes concludes: “The last year has seen the business face difficult macro political and economic factors in its global markets, alongside strong competition and fluctuating exchange rates. Through the skills and efforts of our superb work force, we have handled these issues and positioned the business well for the future. This is a very exciting time for the group, and the plans we have for both Steelite International and Royal Crown Derby will ensure that we maintain our growth.
About Steelite International
• Steelite International is a world-leading manufacturer and supplier of award-winning, inspirational tabletop ranges for the international hospitality industry.
• Established in its current form in 1983, Steelite International has industry roots which span more than 100 years.
• Steelite International is a privately owned company which employs more than 1000 people in the UK as well as more than 100 overseas.
• The company’s Mission Statement is: "To be the hospitality industry's preferred choice for tabletop products, achieved through the combination of inspirational design, excellent quality and outstanding service whilst minimising our environmental impact".
• The company’s core chinaware products are manufactured at its factory in Stoke-on-Trent – one of the most modern and efficient production units in the world. Up to half a million pieces of ware are made every week.
• Steelite trades with more than 140 countries across the globe and its products are the favoured brand of hotel chains such as Hilton and Four Seasons as well as pub and restaurant giant Whitbread and P&O Cruises.
• Steelite International’s business spans a number of industry sectors including commercial catering, ranging from staff restaurants and retirement homes to contract caterers and cruise lines; and the leisure and hospitality market including restaurants, casinos and hotels.About Royal Crown Derby
• The Royal Crown Derby Porcelain Company is an internationally renowned manufacturer of fine bone china tableware, giftware and collectables.
• It employs 170 people and manufactures the highest quality English Fine Bone China at its factory on a four and a half acre site on Osmaston Road, in Derby, England.
• The present factory was established in 1878 but the business traces its origins to the original factory which was set up in Nottingham Road in about 1750. Queen Victoria granted permission to use the title “Royal” in the company name in 1890
• The company produces bone china tableware, giftware and collectables, for sale primarily in china and glass retailers and department stores, both in the UK and overseas.
• The Royal Crown Derby Collectors Guild has more than 3,000 members worldwide. The company also runs a popular Visitor Centre at Osmaston Road, providing factory tours, museum, factory shop and restaurant.